“Desire is the key to motivation, but it is determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal – a commitment to excellence – that will enable you to attain the success you seek.”

-Mario Andretti

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Dizziness RT ND lecture AEB head spinning

For those of you who, like me, were a bit lost after the nursing diagnosis lecture, check out the RN pocket guide (the yellow book-or software-whichever you have). It gives a list of NANDA approved nursing dxs. It also gives prioritized nursing interventions. I browsed through and I think it is going to be a wonderful tool/guide on how we should start thinking as well as what interventions fall within our scope of care.
*The software is completely cross ref'ed. Click any underlined word. Oh blessed PDAs!!!
**There is also a list of ND terms on page 1445 of our Fundamentals book.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello all,
It might not be a bad idea for everybody to compare notes on all the different software available for the PDA's. From my own limited experience I have certainly encountered my preferences.
You know we are going to be grilled in detail by the incoming class fo next semester, and I might be nice to be able to pass on our own experiences... just a thought.. Todd F. who doen't have a google account

Rach_Ramsey said...

On my PDA I have: Signs and Symptoms, Diseases and Disorders, Tabers Dict, Mosbys Dict, Mosbys drug guide, Gen. Health Assessment, RN Health assessment, Rn pocket guide:assess, intervn,and Dx, Mosby's drug interaxns, Natural Meds, IV meds, Mosby's Lab values, Archimedes (medical calculator), Resp disease ref, cardiac consult, pediatric ref, geriatric ref, Oncology and Henatology, Redbook Infectious Diseases, ICU mangment, 5 min ER assessment, NCLEX test practice and Eng/Span Medical Words.

Of course not all of those are neccesary and probably over the top, but I got them anyways just for reference and curiosity. There is also a sociocultural reference that talks about how to deal with those kinds of issues. I think that might be relevant for us. I am thinking about getting that one.

Some people like to hold the book in their hand and be able to scan through the pages, so its up to you which ones you choose to get in software as opposed to book.

The best way to get to know your software is to play with it. I am still learning stuff about mine.

Good luck! Have fun!

Bonnie Boss said...

Alright rach_ramsey, you are my kind over over the top PDA super-user! Yow! I also have everything imaginable on my Palm Lifedrive too, and am I loving it and all of the nurses that are in my vicinity know where to come to find out anything about everything.

But for those just starting out, may I suggest as the bare minimum software, Skyscape's Nursing Constellation, Diseases and Disorders, and Tabor's Medical Dictionary. Some people like to get the Nursing Diagnoses book too, but the Diseases and Disorders has Diagnoses after every disease and you can also find them in the RN notes which is contained in the Nursing Constellation pkg.

Did you know that if you do get practice NCLEX Qs on your PDA, you can get a lot of practice while waiting in lines, sitting on the pot, riding shotgun to any destination, during lunch, in bed at night, etc.

What are your top 3 song choices for graduation?